help_outline Skip to main content

     Minnesota Canoe Association website header

Racing

2014 Monday Night Rookies Info and Updates
Author Last Post
It looks like we'll get a break in the rain tomorrow afternoon, so it looks like we'll meet at the usual spot and time, 5:45, East River Flats.

See you there!
 
Well the rain hasnt let up. Rookies is semi-officially canceled. Feel free to show if you really want to, but I assume it will be a small group if any.

At least the rest of the week looks beautiful!
 
The Mississippi is raging still and isnt the best place to practice at the moment. If the weather holds out, we'll do Rookies at the south beach of Lake Calhoun, the same place as the Hoigaards Paddle Derby. Usual time, 5:45pm. If the weather is questionable im sure the hard core usuals will show unless its really bad.

Here's where we're meeting:
https://www.google.com/maps?q=44.935991,-93.315774&num=1&t=h&z=19

Thanks,
-Marcus


MCA Racing Director
 
To all the Rookies: there's a great deal on a Wenonah Jensen WWC1 right now. It will go fast so act quickly if you're interested. If you're looking for a decent solo canoe, it will be hard to find one cheaper than this:

http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadId=747222&forumID=133&confID=1



Also:
Ill confirm the location on Monday morning, but we will most likely do Rookies at Long Lake in New Brighton The Mississippi is incredibly high and fast, and isnt the best place to practice at the moment.

.
 
People are paddling 5:45 at the east river flats for an unofficial rookies. The current is strong and the water is cold, so bring a dry bag or a change of clothes.

Update: looks like minimal rain between 5 and 8, so its on! Bring some rain gear just in case. 
 
Well, its another cold extended spring... =(

I dont know when the first official Rookies will be. It will depend on how much precipitation we continue to get over the next week or 2. The Mississippi is very high and the water is in the low 40's, making for a dangerous combination. If the weather remains uncooperative, we may start out on Long Lake, or Lake Calhoun for a week or 2, but we'll play that by ear based on how the river levels pan out.

I'll email everyone and post here with more updates a week before we start.

In the mean time, happy paddling. Be safe!
 
Return to Forum